Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ten Years

Jack and I have officially been married for 10 years as of tonight.  That is a long time!  Of course, it's nothing like the 40 my parent's just celebrated, but still, for someone who still feels like she relates to her high school youth group kids and still looks around my house from time to time wondering whose kids (meaning my boys) these all are, that's a long time! 

Recently, a friend noticed the sole wedding picture we still have up on our piano and commented, "My, you guys were just babies (when you got married)!"  While true (I was just 21 and Jack 23), I take that to mean we have visibly aged.  In some ways, I'm totally fine with that.  I have no desire to go back to the insecurities of being 21.  I am way more confident in myself and my body now than I was at that age.  (As a side note, I had this same conversation with my sisters while out for dinner at the same location as a high school prom after we heard some beautiful 18 year-olds discussing their "back fat".)  On the other hand, when Jack told me tonight (while at Bonefish enjoying a martini and some bang-bang shrimp) that my under-eye bags looked like I got socked in the face, I longed for the uninterrupted sleep of my youth.  (...And I'm certain that Jack, too, longs for the hairline of his youth.) 

In ten years we have been through home improvements, jobs, travel, infertility, twins and then one more, and so much more on top of that.  There have been a lot of changes, a lot of laughs, a lot of tears, and a lot of fun.  I'm not sure where I saw us "in 10 years" 10 years ago, but I think this is right where we are meant to be.


I have the best mom ever -- she sent us these for our anniversary today!

No comments:

Post a Comment